Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dear New York City...

Published: September 11, 2005
Spalding Gray, the actor and monologuist, died in 2004. The following letter, which he wrote in the aftermath of 9/11, appeared in "Life Interrupted," a published version of the monologue he was working on at the time of his death. 

Dear New York City...
By Spalding Gray

For 34 years I lived with you and came to love you. I came to you because I loved theater and found theater everywhere I looked. I fled New England and came to Manhattan, that island off the coast of America, where human nature was king and everyone exuded character and had big attitude. You gave me a sense of humor because you are so absurd.

When we were kids, my mom hung a poster over our bed. It had a picture of a bumblebee, and under the picture the caption read:

"According to all aerodynamic laws, the bumblebee cannot fly because its body weight is not in the right proportion to its wingspan. But ignoring these laws, the bee flies anyway."

That is still New York City for me.




What a night, huh?

Requiem for a Dream


But ignoring these laws
the bee flies anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment